How We Traveled The World While Staying In One State

Last Wednesday marked our 4 year wedding anniversary and I figured my post today would reflect what I can remember about our honeymoon!


Our wedding took place at or church in Macks Creek, Missouri on a Friday evening, the 4th of April 2014 (4/4/14 so it would be easy for my hubby to remember 😉 ) We spent that night at the apartment I had been renting a few months prior to us getting married and where we would call home for nearly a year and a half. It didn’t start off too great because when we got home, we saw that my husband’s car had been decked out with car paint and the works. My husband absolutely hates his vehicle being tampered with, so in the midst of just the light of our outdoor floodlight he grumpily cleaned off his car. So not a great start to the new chapter of our life together.


The next morning, we began our journey to Rome. No, not Rome, Italy but the one and only Rome, Georgia! After a quick stop at the bank and Wal-Mart to get some food/supplies we were on our way! It was a long 11 hour drive that was way worth the trip! Every long road trip has to have a few hiccups though, right? Well considering how our marriage has started out, why not? We spent quite awhile in standstill traffic in Nashville, Tennessee and decided to grab a bite to eat at a Wendy’s there. While in the drive through (because we were already behind schedule) we smelt gas, like a really strong whiff. After we grabbed our food we pulled off to the side in the parking lot and popped the hood. Thankfully my husband is a mechanic and knew what to look for/at to find the problem. To spare you all the mechanics terms, one of the fuel lines was melted through and was spewing gas. We found a nearby O’Reilly in a very sketchy part of Nashville and was able to fix it there in the parking lot with quite a bit of worrying, praying and jimmy rigging. We continued our trip and arrived at the Claremont House B&B (an old Victorian house) where we had reservations a little after midnight. It was nice to finally be done driving for the next couple days!


(The front of the B&B)


Today being Sunday, we got up and had breakfast with everyone that was staying there and the owners. There was 3 other couples from all walks of life residing at the B&B the same time as us. After breakfast we walked around Rome for a while until the local Baptist Church service started. It was almost directly across the street from the Claremont House. The service was good and the people were oh so friendly! The pastor came up to us after the service to welcome us and asked where we were from. We told him we were from a small town in Missouri and he in turn asked what brought us down there. We told hi we were on our honeymoon and just got in the previous night. He thanked us for coming and told said it was awesome to see two young people with their relationship on the right foundation. That was the part that stood out to me the whole service and really made an impression on me. We went back to our room and ate lunch and walked a bunch more. Felt like kids again when we came upon a playground, then decided to drive around and visit the Berry College campus. It was absolutely beautiful and was really cool seeing all the old building architecture! There was this old mill that was way too cool to put into words! I’ve included a picture in the collage below for Day 2.

Day in Rome


Monday we left for Atlanta, Georgia and arrived about an hour and a half later. We visited the Georgia Aquarium as well as the Coca-Cola factory that was right next to each other. We ate lunch between stops at a Johnny Rockets diner that took us back to the 50’s complete with black and white checkered tile floors, red leathered booths, chairs and no 50’s diner would be truly complete without a jukebox! All the stops we made that day were really neat and fun! The aquarium was HUGE!! We were able to pet the stingrays (pictured below) and walk through an underwater tunnel. If you are ever in Atlanta, the aquarium is a must see! We picked up a souvenir from both places. At the aquarium we got this neat water toy that when flipped over, little dots of different colors work their way to the bottom level to level. At the Coke factory we were able to take home a small bottle of Coca-Cola as well as try like every flavor available from all over the world! Remington drank samples til he became sick to his stomach but I was a little more smarter than that! 😉 We got our picture taken with the Coca-Cola bear and was able to see how the products are bottled and such! (Kinda like watching donuts being made at Krispy Kreme) After the days activities we started our trek to the beach and spent the night at a hotel in Dublin. No, not Dublin, Ireland silly, but Dublin, Georgia! So we were basically traveling the world without leaving the state if you catch my drift! Haha

Georgia Aquarium



We finished our trek to Savannah, Georgia and spent practically the whole day lounging on the beach of Tybee Island. We walked the beach barefoot, hand in hand, picking up shells and trying to avoid stepping on all the washed up jellyfish. It was amazing to be on the beach again! I absolutely love the beach and could smell the salt in the air as we were approaching the ocean with the windows rolled down! It was really relaxing and some of the birds there were really photogenic! Lol On our way back to our vehicle, we stumbled across a couple sticks that made a cross. I don’t know if someone put it there like that or if it was just coincidence, but it was a neat little reminder. After we had our fill, we found our hotel and settled in for the night.

Honeymoon Beach Day


This day on wasn’t the most fun.. We stayed in our hotel room practically all day while Remington slept due to feeling sick. I don’t know if all that soda caught up to him or if he got too much sun while on the beach, but nonetheless, it wasn’t very fun. Later that evening he felt well enough to see the new then Captain America:Winter Soldier movie for just $5 a piece! After the movie we walked around the Savannah Mall, took some frozen Chinese meals and a couple bowls we got from an adjoining store back to our hotel room and had dinner then settled back into the room.

Savannah Mall

DAY 6 & 7

I was really disappointed because I really wanted to see a lighthouse but Remington still wasn’t feeling good and we had the 11 hour trip back home still ahead of us. BUT he decided he’d be okay if we went back to Tybee Island to give me my lighthouse fix. If you don’t know me that well, I LOVE lighthouses!! It stems from my grandma’s love of them. 🙂 It was pretty cool being able to climb up the 178 steps to the top of the 278 (now 282) year old lighthouse and look out onto the sea. The Tybee Island Light Station is the oldest and tallest in Georgia. We were able to visit the Headkeeper’s cottage as well as some other areas they had open at the time. Well worth the $9 to get in! You could say that I got my fix and so much more! They have a gift shop too and we eneded up purchasing a basket of some really neat shells and starfish! After the lighthouse tour we stopped at a souvenir shop and I got a pair or earrings, a necklace and a bracelet to remember our journey then we started for home. I wasn’t ready to leave by any means, but we had jobs that we needed to get home to. We stopped at a motel in Birmingham, Arkansas for the night then continued home that morning and reached our apartment sometime Friday afternoon. I would love to go back sometime. Our honeymoon was a trip for the books and will be hard to top next time we go on vacation, hoping for next year in Massachusetts!

Tybee Island Lighthouse

What was your most favorite vacation? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!


Author: Meghan Bryant

Hi all! I am 28 years old, live in the Lake of the Ozarks area in Missouri! I am married to my wonderful husband for 7 years, and together we have an adorable 5 year old son, a 3 year old son and a 10 month old boy!! I have been writing for as long as I can remember. My grandma was one of my biggest supporters until she passed away in 2010. I have been writing a book for 10+ years, and am looking to finish it this year! I have written many poems, and some short stories along the way as well. My husband is a mechanic and I'm a stay at home mom. Writing is a big part of my life and that played a part in starting this blog!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: